Man of the Match betting refers to betting on the player you think will have the biggest positive impact on the game. It is one of the less straightforward cricket betting markets that bookmakers have introduced to their sportsbooks in recent times and is a great way to utilise your cricket knowledge.
Best Man Of The Match Cricket Betting Sites
Cricket Man Of The Match Betting Explained
Man of the Match betting allows bettors to go through the list of players that will take to the field in the game and to decide which of these will scoop the Man of the Match award. Given for an outstanding contribution in the clash, this award can go to a player that scores vital runs, takes wickets, has a big impact in the field, or puts in a performance combining all three.
However, while you may have nailed your choice with Joe Root notching a score of 110, cricket is a game in which multiple players can shine from both teams. On the other side of things, Ben Stokes may score a quick-fire 90 and takes four four wickets. This is where the subjective nature of choosing the Man of the Match makes this betting market a bit more difficult to predict. The award is usually chosen by the commentators of the game or, less often, by the fans. The subjective nature of ‘who has played the best’ means that your choice may be very different from the person that receives the award.
This award is always given at the end of the match, meaning that you will have to wait until the final ball has been bowled to find out who claimed the award. The markets tend to favour the bigger names, and this can mean that backing less-prolific players can offer good value.
Cricket Man Of The Match Betting – Tips & Strategies
- Man of the Match betting is a market that is generally available most prevalently in pre-game markets, although it has cropped up in live betting too.
- The Man of the Match market will see you wagering on the player that you think will be the best on the pitch in that game.
- When you go to the Man of the Match market, you will be met by the name of each player in the contest along with their available odds. If England were to play Australia, players like Steve Smith, Joe Root and James Anderson would be heavily favoured to come out on top in this market.
- Often, backing a player that could have an impact with both bat and ball, meaning backing an all-rounder like Ben Stokes, could be the right move.
- Bear in mind that the conditions will likely play a big part in determining the winner of this as a top that is very helpful to spinners will more than likely see a seam bowler struggle.
- When betting on this market it is of vital importance that you recognise the fact that the Man of the Match award will almost always go to a player on the winning team. For example, if Steve Smith scores a century in a losing cause for Australia in their ODI clash with England only for Ben Stokes to score 90 not out as they chase down their total, Stokes will be more likely to receive the Man of the Match award for his performance in a winning cause.
- It is crucial you remember this when betting on ODI and T20 cricket then as the chances are very high that there will be a winner in the game, with the chances of a tie very slim.
- In Test cricket, this is very different. Test cricket is the only format of the game where a draw is often more likely than either side winning straight from the outset of the clash. The weather often has a big impact as there have been Tests where the whole contest has been rained off without a ball being bowled.
- It is also possible for the two sides to play out a draw in a Test if the team that has scored the most runs is unable to bowl out the opposition before the end of day five. In this case, the Man of the Match could be from either team.
- Popular players to bet on in this market are usually the bigger names in the game. For Test cricket, Virat Kohli, Kane Williamson, Steve Smith and Joe Root will likely be the choice of many any time they play a Test, although this changes in the different forms of cricket.
- In T20 cricket, a player like Chris Gayle would be the choice of many bettors to win the Man of the Match award due to his explosive batting, something that would likely see many shy away from him when he was a part of the West Indies team. Honestly, the Man of the Match betting tends to look like a dream 11 type of situation, with people picking from the very best players in the game.
Geo-restrictions apply. You must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours
Best Tournaments To Bet On Cricket Man Of The Match Markets
The best tournaments to bet on the Man of the Match market depends on your own preference and what you feel comfortable betting on. For example, if you like the fact that a game of T20 cricket is over after four hours with the batsmen and bowlers only getting one chance to take to the middle to ply their trade, then Test cricket will not likely be to your taste as both sides have two innings.
Once you have found the format(s) you enjoy betting on most, you should then figure out what events you want to bet on. Below, we have compiled a shortlist of the biggest competitions to bet on in each format:
- Test Cricket
- The Ashes
- India vs Pakistan
- Australia vs New Zealand
- England vs India
- ODI Cricket
- Cricket World Cup
- T20 Cricket
- Cricket World Cup
- Big Bash
Any of the above will invariably bring an array of available betting markets for you to make the most out of. This means that the Man of the Match market will usually feature, so you can test your knowledge against the bookmaker whether this is for the Man of the Match in IPL, the Ashes or the Cricket World Cup. Generally, betting on ODI and T20 cricket is the choice of bettors because, as mentioned above, there is almost always a result, meaning if your choice is on the winning team, you will usually have a one in 11 shot of your bet coming in.
While there is no hard and fast rule when betting on the Man of the Match market as any of the formats are viable options with this market, it is often a more intelligent move to wager in T20 and ODI matches. These matches almost always have a result, while your choice of player can come in a play a match-winning cameo with 45 runs from 20 balls being more than enough to see them named as the Man of the Match.
It is also worth bearing in mind though that the Man of the Match is often decided by the commentators, who may see the game very differently to you. They may see Jasprit Bumrah’s spell of 6/35 as the match-winning performance instead of Rohit Sharma’s innings of 95 not out that eventually brought India victory. Some betting sites have paired with statistic-based sites that will determine the Man of the Match through stats, but this is not something that is done in cricket.
Best Alternative Cricket Betting Markets
There is a very impressive array of cricket betting markets on offer that will keep you entertained whether you are on site or using the best cricket betting app. The Man of the Match market is a very niche one that focusses solely on the players and it can be very difficult to call as you will generally be betting on one player to out-perform the other 21. While this will usually offer good value, it can be very tough to call.
If you are looking for other player-based markets to bet on, then read on as we have listed the most popular of these below and explained how they work.
Top Batsman Betting
The top batsman betting market is a very simple one to understand, but it can be just as difficult to call as the Man of the Match market. Here, you will be looking to pick out which of the batsmen will notch the highest score. There are two ways you can play this market. The first is the ‘Top Batsman market’, which will have you picking one player to post a higher individual score than any other player in the game. The second is the ‘Top Team batsman’, which will allow you to select the batsman you think will top score for one of the teams. Needless to say, it should be easier to pick the winner from the team top batsman market as you are selecting one player to beat his 10 teammates. You should be aware of the fact that selecting Virat Kohli to be the top Indian batsman will offer less value than backing him in the top batsman market though, as there are 21 other players that could outscore him, therefore providing longer odds as there are more players that could see your bet lose.
Best betting Site For Top Batsman Betting: BetVictor
Top Wicket-Taker Betting
The top wicket-taker betting market is very similar to the top batsman market, only you will be backing a bowler instead. Here, you will be tasked with trying to predict which of the bowling options will finish the match with the most wickets. Generally, you should look at the conditions of the pitch and what type of bowler it will help most. After all, if you were to back James Anderson on a pitch in Sri Lanka, he will likely get a lot less swing than if he was bowling in green and overcast conditions in England. It is vital you do your research before placing your bets or you can follow the best cricket prediction in the world instead.
Best Betting Site For Top Wicket-Taker Betting: Unibet
Top Opening Partnership Betting
The top opening partnership market allows you to wager on which of the two teams will build the biggest opening partnership. The openers (the first two batsmen that go in for each team) have the unenviable task of trying to see of the new ball and the new ball bowlers before creating a foundation that their team can build on.
Getting a win in this market is often as much about luck as it is about research. Knowing the conditions that the batsmen are going to be playing in is vital, whilst the types of bowlers they are coming up against may see your bet swing the other way, especially if England’s openers are poor against spin and they are going up against an Indian bowling attack that boasts some world-class spinners.
Best betting Site For Top Opening Partnership Betting: bet365
Key Man Of The Match Stats
- AB de Villiers has the most MOTM awards (21) in IPL history.
- The Indian players with the most IPL MOTM’s are Rohit Sharma and MS Dhoni (both 15).
- Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar has 62 MOTM awards in ODI’s from 463 matches.
- Jacques Kallis has 23 MOTM awards from 166 Test matches, the most of any player.
- Afghanistan’s Mohammad Nabi, India’s Virat Kohli and Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi have 11 MOTM’s in T20 cricket, the highest total for any player.
Man of the Match Betting FAQs
Which are the best betting sites for Man of the Match betting?
Any of the bookmakers mentioned above will give you everything you need when it comes to betting on cricket. However, we would recommend bet365, BetVictor and Unibet as the three offer all this market along with excellent features, competitive odds and generous promotions, making them the best cricket betting sites in our eyes.
Which players should I back in the Man of the Match market?
This is often down to a lot of research and your own gut feeling. Nobody knows exactly how players are going to fare in a match until they are out in the middle. This is what makes betting so exciting. A player that has struggled for runs or wickets in recent matches could dominate the game despite not showing any signs that they were near form. Similarly, a player that is enjoying a real purple patch could suddenly meet a ball with their name on it and depart for a duck, or the fielders could continually drop catches that would otherwise see a bowler take a lot of wickets and end as Man of the Match. As with any betting on sport, it is incredibly unpredictable. A good rule of thumb is to back a player that tends to excel on a certain ground or against a particular team, while the likes of Virat Kohli or Steve Smith are usually popular bets in the MOTM market.
Can I live stream cricket matches?
Yes, you can live stream certain matches. Before signing up with a bookie you should check whether they are one of the live cricket streaming sites as this will enable you to watch and bet on your favourite cricketing events.
Geo-restrictions apply. You must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours
CricketBettingAdvice Final Say
When it comes to learning how to bet on cricket, it is very important that if you decide to wager on more niche markets, that you do your research. Whether you are ipl betting or looking at another of the top cricket tournaments, you need to know what markets suit particular competitions the most. As previously mentioned, the Man of the Match market is perhaps best used with ODI and T20 cricket, while it is not the only way to bet on how players will perform in the game with the top batsman and top wicket-taker markets both viable alternatives.
The Cricket Betting Advice team of writers are all defined by one goal: to provide you with the best online betting content on the web.