What better start to one of the top cricket tournaments than a match between two cricketing heavyweights? The first match of the ICC World Test championship 2021-23 is scheduled to start with an England vs India match in Nottingham. In this article, we will take a look at the squad developments on both sides, their past performance records, match schedules, and some valuable betting insights.
Best Betting Sites for England vs India Betting
Top 5 Betting Sites for England vs India Betting
International cricket is poised to witness some phenomenal cricket in the true format of cricket: Test matches.
The ICC World Test Championship is scheduled to kick off its second season from England in August. The tournament, lasting two years, will test the true endurance and proficiency of the teams in the five-day cricket matches.
The England vs India series will see the two teams facing each other in five Test matches during August and September. England will be stepping into the tournament on a high note, with a T20I and ODI series win against Pakistan in July. It last played a Test series against New Zealand in June, which it lost 1-0.
The Indian side has recently played the 1st ICC World Test Championship’s finals against New Zealand and should be better positioned to begin this series, even though it lost the finals. Prior to the finals, India played a Test series against England at home in March, which it won 3-1.
Both the teams will begin this Test series with some wounds to fill and honour to redeem, and you can expect action-packed performances with several exciting betting opportunities for cricket enthusiasts. And while we're at it, keep an eye out for no deposit bonuses and free bet opportunities that some sites might offer!
India vs England 1st Test Match 2021 is going to be played at the Trent Bridge Cricket Ground in Nottingham starting on 4th August 2021.
England vs India Betting Odds
All the leading bookmakers have published their betting odds for the first match of the series. Take a look at all of them together!
Odds correct at the time of writing
England vs India Tips & Prediction
England vs India matches have proven to be a hunting ground for punters. This match would be no different, so gear up for an exciting betting spree.
Here are some betting tips and match predictions which you can use to improve your betting game:
- The position for the highest runs-scorer will see a competition between the two captains. Joe Root has scored the highest runs on this ground among the present players on both sides, while Virat smashed 97 runs in the past test encounter on this very pitch in 2018 to lead India to victory.
- Virat Kohli remains our choice for the player of the match.
- Joe Root is the most appropriate choice for a century-scorer. He has a proven test performance on this pitch and holds two centuries to his name.
- On the wickets front, it would be a good bet to consider Ravichandran Ashwin, who has bagged the highest wickets (71) in the previous championship tournament. He also holds second place in the ICC Test Bowling rankings with a rating of 865.
- The spot for the top bowler on the English side would go to James Anderson. He has delivered some of his best performances against the Indian team, and would also be enjoying the home advantage this time. Watch out for him!
- The last two encounters between the teams at this stadium have seen one draw (2014) and a win by India (2018). However, practice matters a lot in this format of the game, and the Indian team does not have enough of it on English turfs. It played a county cricket match in July, but that does not count for much. England is the best bet for Match Winner.
Schedule for England vs India
|Match||Format||Date||Venue||Start Time||Winner||England vs India (1st test)||Test||4th - 8th August||Trent Bridge, Nottingham||15:30 IST||Draw|
|England vs India (2nd test)||Test||12th - 16th August||Lord’s, London||15:30 IST||India|
|England vs India (3rd test)||Test||25th - 19th August||Emerald Headingley, Leeds||15:30 IST||England|
|England vs India (4th test)||Test||2nd – 6th September||The Oval, London||15:30 IST||India|
|England vs India (5th test)||Test||10th – 14th September||Old Trafford, Manchester||15:30 IST||Cancelled|
The England squad has played back-to-back international cricket series, with several games at home. They have won some crucial games and are in the right mindset to kick-start their ICC Test championship journey.
The batting order is ready and performing, and the bowling is in place too. The biggest setback has been the recent announcement of Ben Stokes announcing his withdrawal from the team, citing mental health issues. He carries a hefty experience that would have proven to be valuable against an opponent like India. His departure at the eleventh hour has left a void in the team and one can only wait to see how the team performs without him.
England Squad for Test Series
India has a stable team line-up but is reeling with some player injury issues. Shubham Gill, Washington Sundar, and Avesh Khan were ruled out from the squad due to injuries. Prithvi Shaw and Suryakumar Yadav have flown in from India as urgent additions to the team.
Mayank Agarwal suffered a concussion and is under medical observation. He would not be playing the first match but is expected to play in the remaining matches of the series.
India Squad for Test Series
- Joe Root: The England captain has been consistently performing well, and his record at home is among the best in the existing squad of players. Root has made a high score of 154 runs (not-out) on this pitch and has two centuries and one half-century to his credit. He has played eight innings on this pitch, where he scored a total of 434 runs.
- Sam Curran: An upcoming all-rounder, Sam Curran has already proved his mettle in Test matches with his stellar performance against India in the 2018 Test series. He is good at forging batting partnerships and can play well with tail-enders to sail the team through the tough patches in the match.
- James Anderson: A seasoned pacer with several years of experience, Anderson still has the penchant for creating havoc in the opponent’s batting order, especially India, against whom he has taken 118 wickets in his career. England pitches are every pacer’s paradise, and you can expect Anderson to bowl wonders in this match.
- Virat Kohli: Virat Kohli is a classic cricket player with a proven record across all formats. He ran out of luck in the past few matches, but writing him off for that would not be a wise choice. He ranks number four, above Joe Root, in the ICC Test batting rankings. Kohli is excellent at handling the swing and pace, characteristic of England pitches, and you can bet on him to wipe the smile off of bowlers’ faces once he gets in the groove.
- Cheteshwar Pujara: Compared to Rahul Dravid for his knack to steadily hold the wicket, Pujara is a natural test player. His endurance and skills in this format will prove valuable for the Indian team, who will be facing the English side without much practice away from home.
- Ravichandran Ashwin: The only spinner in the squad, Ashwin’s spinning miracles are dreaded by opponents. He delivered a spectacular performance in the last championship, and has taken 30 five-wicket hauls in his test career up to now.
Both England and India are mature teams that have received quality exposure to international cricket this year. It is a high-stakes series, and both teams are yearning for a win.
England has an edge in terms of the home advantage and will look forward to unleashing their lethal bowling attack to stop the Indian batsmen from establishing a strong footing. They also have the pressure to avenge their 3-1 loss in the Test series held in India earlier in the year.
India will be approaching the series with focus and strong intent, given that they lost against New Zealand in the ICC World Test Championship finals (2019-21) recently in July. There is pressure on the team to deliver, but then the team is no stranger to performing well under stressful situations.
Pitch Conditions & Analysis
Most of the cricket pitches in England are curated to suit pace. The Trent Bridge Cricket Ground is no different.
While some technical changes will be done just before the match, the pitch will be a green one. Such pitches are a paradise for pace bowlers as it offers the much-needed swing and bounce. The key for batsmen is to stay put rather than going for long shots. There is not much for batsmen to benefit from such pitches unless the pacers are having a rough day.
The weather is forecasted to be rainy on all the days, especially the middle three days. The chances of a wash-out cannot be ruled out.
Key Stats for England vs India
- The teams have played 34 Test series to date. England won 19, India 11, and four went for a draw.
- In the present squad across both the teams, the highest partnership is 200 runs between Sibley and Root.
- The highest total match score is 759 runs, scored by India in the 2016 series held in India. The lowest total score in an England vs India match is 42 runs, held at the Lord’s in 1974.
England vs India Historical Data
Test Series: Head-To-Head Record
|Total Matches||126||England Wins||48|
|New Zealand Wins||29|
History of England vs India
England vs India matches are a visual treat for all cricket lovers. Both the teams are legendary in their own rights, and the matches never fail to excite.
In the last test series encounter earlier this year, England lost to India 3-1. However, there is no clear dominating side amongst the two. In the past five series, England won three and India two.
Even in the test format, their matches go on till the very last moment. India has won a Test match against England by a small margin of just 28 runs (in 1972) and England against India by a margin of 31 runs (in 2018).
England vs India Betting FAQs
Which are the best sites for England vs India betting?
The England vs India Test match is expected to throw up fantastic betting opportunities for bettors, being the first match of the ICC championship. It is important to consider a range of factors, such as variety of odds, transaction security, user-friendliness, and withdrawal ease, while assessing the best cricket betting sites. Accordingly, the best sites for betting on this match are bet365, Sportsbet.io, and Casumo.
When will England vs India take place?
The match is scheduled to start on 4th August (Wednesday) from 15:30 IST. It is a Test match with the fifth day ending on 8th August (Sunday).
Where will it take place?
The match is scheduled to be played at the Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, Nottingham.
Where can I watch England vs India?
The England vs India match will be broadcasted by the Sony Sports Network across its multiple sports channels. It will also be broadcasted in Hindi.
CricketBettingAdvice Final Say
There are no underdogs in this series, and both teams will pounce on every chance to seize the match right from day one. It’s the ICC championship and no team would want to let their guard down, even for one match. Expect some crazy cricket moments and plenty of betting opportunities in this match!
Till then, be safe, bet safe!
The Cricket Betting Advice team of writers are all defined by one goal: to provide you with the best online betting content on the web.