Cricket betting has become a very popular way to enhance how people watch one of the oldest and most popular sports in the world. While there is a glut of cricket betting markets when it comes to the three formats of the game, few are as popular as the top batsman betting market. In this guide, we will go over how to bet on the top batsman betting market, the best cricket betting sites and tips and tricks to help you feel more comfortable when utilising this popular market.
Best Top Batsman Betting Sites
How To Bet On Cricket Top Batsman
This market is based on you backing the player you think will finish the match with the most runs, and it is as simple as that. Cricket is a game that is dominated by bat and ball, and the battle between the two is what makes all formats of the game so exciting.
While the way to win the market is very simple, there are a number of rules you should be aware of when looking to utilise the top runs scorer betting market. These are:
- You are betting on the player you think will top score.
- The market refers to first innings scores (meaning second innings scores are not counted).
- Batsmen must usually face at least one ball for bets to stand.
- If a batsman does not come out to bat (as there are no deliveries left or their team has reached their target score before they come out to bat) then your bet will not be voided, it will lose.
- In the event of a tie, bets are usually voided.
- A reduction in the number of overs in a limited over game (ODI or T20) will generally see bets voided.
When betting on the top runs scorer betting market, most will recommend betting on the big players in the game. Virat Kohli, Steve Smith, Joe Root and Kane Williamson always features very highly in the top batsman betting regardless of the format of the game. However, as we will go over in more detail later, backing one of the four is not always the best bet, with value often difficult to find when you wager on them.
Top Batsman Betting Tips
When looking to utilise the top batsman betting market, there are a number of factors that it are vital you know before wagering. These include:
- Don’t always count on big names. In cricket, the best players tend to excel fairly often. Virat Kohli, Joe Root and Steve Smith have been among the best batsmen in world cricket for years and do score runs. However, just because Root is playing in an ODI for England does not mean he is the only player to back. A team like England for example offer a glut of players that could top score, and it is often important to look at what bowling options they will be going up against before you bet.
- Look at the pitch. There are often pitch reports released prior to matches and these will give you crucial insight into how much help bowlers will get. If you cannot get a pitch report, then as a general rule of thumb, pitches in England and New Zealand tend to be conducive to swing whilst also giving help to spinners and fast bowlers, while Australian pitches are flat and dry, so fast and aggressive bowlers are key there while the sun and stress on the pitch will cause it to crack and help spinners out later in a Test match. On pitches in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, spinners are vital as the tops are dry and dusty, while cracks and foot-holes appear quickly, meaning that bowlers that can get high revs on the ball will get a lot of help.
- What is the format? The format of the game is so important when it comes to top batsman betting markets. Taking England’s former-batsman Jonathan Trott as an example is a great way to explain this. In Test cricket, Trott could bat for as long as he wanted as he was a player that just enjoyed being out in the middle, regardless of whether he was scoring runs or not. However, in a T20 game, Trott would likely get outscored easily if he were to play alongside Jos Buttler, who scores at an unbelievable rate. Therefore, just because a player excels in Test cricket does not mean he will top score in ODI or T20 cricket, and vice-versa.
- Look for value. Unlike the match winner market, the top batsman market will usually offer good value as there are so many possible outcomes. This means that backing the favourite will usually give you odds well above evens. However, if you really want to increase your potential winnings, do research into all of the options as the players that appear lower down the list with bigger odds may be a shrewd choice.
- The venue. This works on two levels. First, a player may struggle to bat against spin, for example, so they will have a tough time if they were to tour India. Similarly, if a player visited England and could not confidently play against swing, then they will have a torrid time if England are able to field players that can make the ball swing in and out. Therefore, it is not the greatest idea to back a player with obvious flaws in their technique. The second facet of this is how a team and batsman fares on a particular ground. Just like in any other sport, there are often bogey teams and grounds where a side struggles. For example, England tend to struggle when they travel to battle for the Ashes in Australia, so it often makes more sense to back an Aussie batsman in a Test down under.
- Fatigue. While you may be looking to back a batsman that is coming into the game on the back of seven big scores in a row, you need to look at whether your potential choice has had any time off recently. Mental and physical fatigue will play a big role in how well a batsman has played, and if they go into a big Test series at the end of the year on the back of a monster season, you may see the effects of this in their batting.
- Odds-on doesn’t mean a definite win. This is true of any betting market. While there will usually be a favourite in the top batsman odds, it does not mean they are nailed on to win. Instead, look at the players listed and, taking into account the above factors, try to select a player that offers value and constitutes an astute bet.
Geo-restrictions apply. You must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours
Best Tournaments For Cricket Top Batsman Betting
Top batsman betting is a market that can be used with most tournaments. For example, betting on the top batsman in the Ashes is just as thrilling as it is when betting on the Cricket World Cup. However, there will be certain betting sites and competitions that do not always offer this market. Therefore, if you are keen on utilising this one instead of a more standard one, then you will want to bet on one of the following, which constitute the top cricket tournaments:
ICC Cricket World Cup
The Cricket World Cup is the biggest competition in ODI cricket and is played every four years. With all of the very best sides in the world converging on one country, sixes, tumbling wickets and spectacular catches are a certainty. Historically, the ICC Cricket World Cup has been dominated by Australia, but it was England in 2019 that etched their name on the cup following the greatest final in cricket history against New Zealand.
T20 World Cup
Like the ODI World Cup, the T20 Cricket World Cup is the biggest event in this format of the game. T20 cricket is the shortest and, some would say, the most exciting of all of the styles of the game. With so little time to build a score, teams are forced to go big from the first ball, and this tends to lead to big shots and incredible games.
The most fierce rivalry in cricket, the Ashes is contested by England and Australia, with one of the sides touring the other. A five Test series is the norm for this series with the winner taking home all of the bragging rights and claiming the famous urn known as the Ashes. Many of the greatest players in cricket have been involved in this battle, with some of the truly great Test matches played between the pair.
India vs Pakistan
If the Ashes is the most fierce rivalry in cricket, Pakistan vs India is not far behind. The titanic clash everytime the two come together sees the daily lives of both countries come to a standstill, with neither wanting to take a step back in what has become one of the greatest rivalries in sport.
Australia vs New Zealand
Another huge battle comes in the form of Australia vs New Zealand. Both nations have produced some truly incredible cricketing talent, and it only seems right that their rivalry in cricket is just as fiery as it is in most other sports.
Indian Premier League
The biggest competition in domestic cricket happens every year. The IPL begins with an auction that sees the best from across the world bought to play for different teams and what follows is one of the most exciting shows in sports. If any person claims cricket is boring, point them in the direction of the IPL and they will change their mind pretty quickly.
The Australian iteration of the IPL, the Big Bash does exactly what it says on the tin, with massive shots coming alongside aggressive bowling and unbelievable fielding every single year.
England’s biggest annual domestic T20 competition is an incredibly exciting mix of big scores and trying to avoid the rain. While it may not have the draw of the IPL or Big Bash, the T20 Blast draws big crowds in England, especially for finals day.
Of course, these are not the only competitions that will likely offer top batsman betting markets, but it is a safe bet that as the biggest tournaments in cricket, they will generally offer this market.
Best Alternative Cricket Betting Markets
If the top batsman betting market is not for you, then there is no shortage of available alternatives. Below, we have listed a few of the most popular player bets along with the best betting site to get involved with when betting on them, which will help you with how to bet on cricket.
Man of the Match Betting
Man of the Match betting is similar to top batsman betting and will see you wagering on one single player. However, in this market you will be looking to single out the player that you think will have the biggest positive impact across the match. Generally awarded to a player from the winning side, the MOTM can go to a batsman that scores vital runs, a bowler that takes a big haul of wickets, a fielder that turns the game on its head, or all of the above. The award itself is usually awarded by commentators of the game, meaning that it can be a bit more subjective than the no-nonsense, factual top batsman betting market.
Best Betting Sites For Man of the Match Betting: bet365
Top Wicket-Taker Betting
Just like top batsman betting, this market allows you to wager on how well a player will fare in the game. In this market though, you need to back the player that will take the most wickets. Here, it is vital that you do your research on the pitch, the batsman and how players have bowled in certain conditions. Just like top batsman betting, there is a lot of value to be utilised here if you use the market correctly.
Best Betting Sites For Top Wicket-Taker Betting: 888sport
Most Sixes Betting
This market does exactly what it says on the tin. Here, you will bet on the team you think will score the most sixes. A six is when a batsman hits the ball over the boundary rope without it bouncing (while a four is when the batsman gets the ball to go to the boundary with one or more bounces). This market not only requires you to work out which batting side will be on top, but whether their bowlers will also be able to stem the flow of boundaries too. This market is particularly exciting to use in ODI and T20 cricket, with sixes happening far more often than in Test cricket.
Best Betting Sites For Most Sixes Betting: Dafabet
Key Top Batsman Betting Stats
- The highest individual score by a Test batsman was scored by Brian Lara, with his 400 not out coming for the West Indies against England in 2004.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the highest scoring batsman in Test cricket, with 15,921 runs in 329 innings.
- Sachin Tendulkar is also the highest scoring player in ODI cricket, with 18,426 runs.
- Virat Kohli is the highest scoring T20 player with 2928 runs.
Top Batsman Betting FAQs
Which are the best betting sites for top batsman betting?
Any of the 10 betting sites we have listed above will give you all you need when it comes to cricket betting. However bet365, Dafabet and 888sport provide bettors with everything they need when it comes to cricket betting. Brilliant features, a glut of payment methods, competitive odds and an array of markets make the trio the top choice when it come to betting on cricket and top batsman betting, while it is also worth finding out whether your choice is available on the live cricket streaming sites list or if they have a best cricket betting app too.
What are the best alternatives to top batsman betting markets?
As stated above, the best alternatives to the top batsman betting market is top wicket-taker, most sixes and Man of the Match betting. The three are similar to top batsman betting as, with the exception of the most sixes market, you will be choosing one player to back to out-perform the rest, almost like a dream11 fantasy situation.
Which players should I back in the top batsman betting markets?
When looking to back the top batsman betting odds you need to take into account the playing surface, the venue, the bowlers the opposition can call upon and the type of batsman you are backing. If you were to back a player that is proficient against spin bowling but struggles against swing, then you will likely see your bet lose in English conditions. However, if the opposition is a team full of pace bowlers in Australia and your choice has a superb record against fast bowling then he will likely excel. Always do your research ahead of the betting and, if in doubt, you can look at the best cricket prediction in the world instead.
Which competitions are the best for top batsman betting?
This depends on your own personal preference as if you enjoy watching T20 cricket and not Test and ODI matches then you will be restricted in the competitions you will be able to bet on. However, of all of the competitions available, the most popular for top batsman betting tend to be the 50 and 20 over Cricket World Cups, the Ashes, England vs India, India vs Pakistan, the Big Bash, the T20 Blast and IPL betting. All of the aforementioned competitions will give you great depth in the teams and batting options that you can bet on.
Geo-restrictions apply. You must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours
CricketBettingAdvice Final Say
When it comes to cricket betting, the top runs scorer betting market provides bettors with a fantastic way to get good value on their bets and delve into the statistical side of cricket betting. Top batsman odds will usually be long enough that even a favourite in the market will offer good value. Although you should be aware of the fact that the sheer amount of choice in the top runs scorer betting market means you bet does also have a good chance of losing, so bet wisely.
The Cricket Betting Advice team of writers are all defined by one goal: to provide you with the best online betting content on the web.