In this guide, we take you through the top 10 India horse race betting sites, free Indian horse race betting tips, popular betting markets, and recommended horse racing betting apps in India.
Top 10 India Horse Race Betting Sites
Best India Horse Race Betting Sites
Top 3 India Horse Race Betting Sites: Reviewed
Odds correct as of 06/11/21, 12:00 (I.S.T.)
- We reckon bet365 is really the best India horse race betting site around. Sure, the market has other excellent options, but the UK-based bookmaker, for us, stands head and shoulders above their competition.
- Furthermore, it’s one of the few sites offering Best Odds Guaranteed on all races.
- Best of all, bet365 offers a handsome welcome bonus and a slew of horse race betting-specific promos, which few others on the market provide.
The only downside we think is that there’s no dedicated section for India horse race betting. All the races, including the international ones, are clubbed together.
- Sure, it’s one of the best cricket betting sites, but Betway is no pushover when it comes to betting on horse races either.
- With a great design and user-friendly, straightforward features, we would recommend Betway as the perfect India horse race betting site for new punters. That said, there's plenty to enjoy for seasoned bettors as well.
We spot only two downsides of using Betway over bet365. First, unlike the latter, Betway doesn’t offer Best Odds Guaranteed. This is a slight disadvantage, as odds will keep fluctuating throughout the day. And second, as of the day of writing, there are no horse racing-specific offers (though there’s a sizeable welcome bonus).
- Sure, it isn’t as comprehensive as bet365 or as straightforward as Betway, but Parimatch still holds its own as one of the better India horse race betting sites available.
- Its generous welcome offer (150% up to Rs 12,000) is certainly not to be sneezed at!
The downside is that there’s no live streaming option for horse racing yet.
Popular India Horse Race Betting Avenues
- First held in 1943, the Epsom Derby-inspired Indian Derby is run on the first Sunday of February every year at the Mahalaxmi Racecourse, Mumbai.
- Open to four-year-old fillies (female horses), colts (male horses), and geldings (castrated horses).
Indian 1000 Guineas
- Open to three-year-old fillies.
- Run in December at the Mahalaxmi Racecourse, Mumbai.
Indian 2000 Guineas
- Run by three-year-olds (both fillies and colts
- Run in December at the Mahalaxmi Racecourse, Mumbai, following the Indian 1000 Guinea
- Open to four-year-old Thoroughbred fillies.
- Run towards the end of January at the Mahalaxmi Racecourse, Mumbai.
Indian St. Leger
- Contested in September every year, run in Pune.
- Open to four-year-old colts, fillies, and geldings.
Top International Horse Race Betting Events
They call horse racing the ‘sport of kings’, and when you see the cash prizes on the most famous horse races around the globe, you'll immediately realise why. The following are the top-rated, premier horse race betting opportunities around (in addition to the ones available for India horse race betting).
Britain’s biggest horse race in terms of prize money
- Date: First Saturday of June
- Venue: Epsom Downs Racecourse, Surrey, England
- Distance: 2400 metres (approximately 1.5 miles)
- Surface: Turf
- Open to: Three-year-old fillies and colts (excluding geldings)
- Contested since: 1780
Billed as the ‘Fastest Two Minutes in Sports’, this is the US equivalent of the Epsom Derby
- Date: First Saturday of May
- Venue: Churchill Downs Racetrack, Kentucky, USA
- Distance: 2000 metres (approximately 1.25 miles)
- Surface: Dirt
- Open to: Three-year-olds
- Contested since: 1875
Dubai World Cup
Though a relative newcomer, the grand event has put the UAE on the global horse racing map
- Date: Last Saturday of March
- Venue: Meydan Racecourse, Dubai, UAE
- Distance: 2000 metres (approximately 1.25 miles)
- Surface: Dirt
- Open to: Northern Hemisphere four-year-old and up Thoroughbreds; Southern Hemisphere three-year-old and up Thoroughbreds
- Contested since: 1996
Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
Or simply, the ‘Arc’; indulge in brut champagne and live jazz music on the banks of the Seine
- Date: First Sunday of October
- Venue: Longchamp Racecourse, Paris, France
- Distance: 2400 metres (approximately 1.5 miles)
- Surface: Turf
- Open to: Three-year-old (and up) fillies and colts (excluding geldings)
- Contested since: 1920
The Grand National
An experience steeped in British culture
- Date: Saturday in early April
- Venue: Aintree Racecourse, Liverpool, England
- Distance: 6900 metres (approximately 4 miles and 470 metres)
- Surface: Turf
- Open to: Seven-year-olds and up (must be rated 120 or more by the British Horseracing Authority and previously placed in a recognised three-mile chase or more)
- Contested since: 1839
Cheltenham Gold Cup
The Blue Riband of jump-racing
- Date: During the Cheltenham Festival in March
- Venue: Cheltenham Racecourse, Cheltenham, England
- Distance: 5294 metres (approximately 3 miles and 466 metres)
- Surface: Turf
- Open to: Five-year-olds and up
- Contested since: 1924
Go Down Under for the annual race that stops a nation
- Date: First Tuesday in November
- Venue: Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne, Australia
- Distance: 3200 metres (approximately 2 miles)
- Surface: Turf
- Open to: Three-year-olds and up
- Contested since: 1861
Horse Race Betting in India: Overview
Horse racing in India goes back 200 years. Originally indulged in by kings and noblemen, the sport took its time in becoming a mass favourite. And once that happened, there has been no looking back.
According to a 1996 ruling by the Supreme Court of India, horse race betting involves skill, and doesn’t depend entirely on luck. Hence, it is completely legitimate and tightly regulated, which comes as a much-needed breather from the country’s convoluted online gambling laws.
The first racetrack was set up in Madras (present-day Chennai) in 1777. Today, the equestrian sport is conducted across multiple racetracks supervised by six racing authorities.
India horse race betting fans can wager on multiple races, both within the country and elsewhere.
How to Bet on Horse Races in India
Betting on horse racing is similar to other avenues of sports betting in India, with the exception that it is regulated, and you can also bet offline (at the racecourse). If you are betting online, there are a few simple steps you need to follow:
- Step 1: Make an account with your preferred India horse race betting site.
- Step 2: Once that’s done, fund your account using any of the recommended betting payment methods.
- Step 3: Choose ‘horse racing’ from the sportsbook.
- Step 4: Choose the event you want to bet on, look for high-value odds, and place your bet.
Tracks for India Horse Race Betting
If you don’t want to wager online, you can always physically go to the racecourses and have a crack at horse race betting in India. The following are among the leading turf clubs in the country:
Bangalore Turf Club
- Horse racing season: May-August (summer), November-April (winter)
- Address: 52 Racecourse Road, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru
Hyderabad Turf Club
- Horse racing season: July-October (monsoon), November-February (winter)
- Address: 16-10-1, a/1, Masjid Rd, Parvathi Puram, Afzal Nagar, Malakpet Extension, Old Malakpet, Hyderabad, Telangana 500036
Mysore Race Club
- Horse racing season: May-July (summer), August-October (monsoon), November-February (winter)
- Address: Adjacent to Ursu Club, Club House Building, Nazarbad, Mysuru, Karnataka 570010
Royal Calcutta Turf Club
- Horse racing season: November-March (winter), July-October (monsoon)
- Address: 18, Golf Club Road, Tollygunge, Kolkata, West Bengal 700033
Royal Western India Turf Club
- Operates two racecourses: Mahalaxmi Racecourse (Mumbai), Pune Racecourse (Pune)
- Horse racing season: November-March/April (Mumbai), July-October/November (Pune)
- Address: Mahalaxmi Racecourse (Keshavrao Khadye Marg, Royal Western India Turf Club, Mahalakshmi, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400034); Pune Racecourse (Race Course, 6, Arjun Marg, Camp, Pune, Maharashtra 411001)
Madras Race Club
- Horse racing season: August-October (monsoon), October/November-March (winter), April/May-June (summer)
- Address: Race Course Rd, near Railway Station, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600032
Delhi Turf Club
- Horse racing season: August-April/May
- Address: Race Course Road, D.H.Q., Delhi 110011
India Horse Race Betting Markets
Certain terminologies and markets are specific to horse racing. Below, we've compiled a mini-glossary of all the bet types you can place with the leading India horse race betting sites:
- Win: Bet on the horse you think will win the race. As straightforward as that.
- Each-way: Each-way betting comprises two bets – the first on the selection to win and the other on it to finish in the places (the exact number of places will depend on how many horses are running in that particular race; the choice also lies with the bookmaker). Remember that in each-way betting, your stake gets doubled. Also, it pays less than a win.
- Place-only: Here, you bet on the horse to finish among the places only. So, in essence, it is similar to each-way bets, except that there’s no part of the wager placed on the horse to win.
- Forecast or Exacta: A commonly found India horse race betting market. You bet on two horses – one to win and the other to finish second. However, remember that to win the bet, both selections have to finish in the exact same order. It won't pay out if you don’t get the order right.
- Quinella or Reverse Forecast: You bet on two horses — one to win and the other to finish second. However, this is different from a forecast because here, the two horses can finish in any order. The payout is lower compared to a forecast.
- Tricast: You wager on three horses – one to win the race and the others to finish second and third. Remember that all selections must finish in the exact order for a payout.
- Superfecta: You bet on the first four finishers in a particular race to finish in the exact sequence.
- Hi-5 or Pentafecta: Similar to a Superfecta, except that you bet on the first five horses to finish in the exact sequence.
India Horse Race Betting: Free Indian Horse Racing Tips
Any sport is, of course, unpredictable, and that’s what makes it incalculable. Sure, betting tips and match predictions can help, but only so much. However, to give your wager the best chance to win, you must follow certain parameters, and we hope our free Indian horse racing tips can help you do just that.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#1: Factor in the distance to run and the horse’s weight. If the latter is higher than the particular category, your selection may not be able to run as well because of the extra weight it carries.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#2: The racer’s weight matters as well. Simple logic, a burly jockey is more weight to carry for the horse. So, the heavier the racer’s weight, the more difficult it could get for the horse.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#3: Consider if your selection got adequate rest in between races. A tired horse will not perform optimally.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#4: Do you know the horse’s preferences? For example, some horses run better on grass, while others take to turf more easily. Also, while some horses run short distances better, a few prefer longer hauls.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#5: Know the pre-match stats. This will tell you important details about the horse and the jockey. For example, does the racer have a history of falling off horses, or the horse’s past injuries, for that matter.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#6: Read the weather report on the morning of the race. The elements are so integral to horse racing, and consequently, to horse race betting as well. The weather influences the ‘going’ of the track, which has a direct impact on the horse (not so much for the jockey). Even if it’s an all-weather track, it’ll still be impacted by weather conditions, though of course not as much as dirt or turf.
You can check out how weather affects horse racing in this detailed article.
Free Indian Horse Racing Tip#7: And finally, shop around for the best India horse race betting odds. Although leading horse racing betting apps in India offer competitive prices, don’t settle for the first one you come across. Take your time and compare various bookmakers.
Here’s hoping these free Indian horse racing tips give you something to start with. For more detailed analysis and expert tips, check out Betway Insider.
Types of India Horse Race Betting Odds
There are primarily three types of fixed odds available on India horse race betting (or on any race around the world, for that matter). These are:
- Early Price: The fixed price offered on your selection before the race gets underway. So, if you take the Early Price, you will have to stick with it even if your selection goes out to more competitive odds in the market.
- Board Price: The odds listed on the bookies’ boards at a racecourse. Board Prices typically appear 15 minutes leading up to the race.
- Starting Price (SP): The odds available on your horse at the start of the race. The SP is effectively your selection’s official odds, and these will be different from the Early Price.
India Horse Race Betting: Fixed vs Tote Odds
We look at the two India horse race betting odds in brief below:
India Horse Race Betting with Fixed Odds
- With fixed odds, the payout is at pre-determined rates if your selection succeeds. A typical example of this is wagering on a horse with fixed odds of 5/1. If the chosen horse succeeds (wins or places), you get back five times your stake.
- Simply put, you know exactly how much you can win if you bet on fixed odds. That’s because when you place a bet, the odds are automatically locked in. Therefore, any subsequent change in the odds will not affect your winnings.
India Horse Race Betting with Tote Odds
- The tote (or totaliser) is computerised shared betting. All the wagers (on a race or a combination of races) are first totalled, taxes and fees deducted, and then the proceeds are divided among the winners – according to their stake – as payout.
- In essence, tote odds are variable, and they change (go up or down) leading up to the race.
- Tote bets can start from as low as ₹10.
- Horse racing clubs operate multiple tote booths (both automated and manned) near the racecourses.
Best Odds Guaranteed on India Horse Race Betting
What Does BOG Mean?
With Best Odds Guaranteed, the advantage is that you can take up any price during the day and still not miss out on a profit should the Starting Price (SP) be more than the Early Price you took in the morning.
Example of BOG With India Horse Race Betting
Suppose a race is about to get underway at 3 pm. The same day, at 10 am, you see Early Price of 5.00 on your selection, and you bet ₹100 on it. That means, if the horse wins, you make ₹500 (plus your stake). However, the SP on the horse ends up being 8.00. This means you could’ve made ₹800 (plus stake) had the horse won. Therefore, by taking the Early Price, you essentially miss out on a ₹300 profit.
- Ante-post bets are typically excluded from BOG.
- If you choose the BOG offer, you may not be able to use bonuses (if any) nor can you use the Cash Out feature.
India Horse Race Betting FAQs
Is horse race betting legal in India?
According to a 1996 ruling by the Supreme Court of India, horse race betting is a game of skill and not luck. Therefore, it’s completely legitimate and regulated in the country.
Can I win real money on horse race betting in India?
Of course you can win real money on India horse race betting. However, do your research – read about the race club and the track, past races and champions, current participants in the scheduled race, and the form of your selection(s). Also, follow the latest news related to the sport and use some of the free Indian horse racing tips discussed in the article.
What does ‘Best Odds Guaranteed (BOG)' mean?
This means that even if the odds keep changing, you’ll still get the best deal. Therefore, with BOG, if your horse wins, the payout will be calculated basis the best odds and not as per the starting price.
What is tote betting?
Tote betting is like a big, shared jackpot comprising all the wagers placed, and the winnings are distributed among the punters in proportion to their bet. The major advantage here is that you can stake as little as ₹10 and still earn a respectable share of the total winnings.
What promotions do I get on India horse race betting?
Welcome bonuses may include free bets, which you can use on horse racing. That said, please remember that there are usually a few wagering requirements associated with free bets.
Then you have ante-post markets, where you can get enhanced odds or price boosts.
Usually, the best betting offers come around during top international meets like the Grand National and the Cheltenham Festival, for instance.
Do I get a welcome bonus on horse race betting sites?
Yes. Almost all the horse race betting sites on CBA offer handsome welcome bonuses. Some, like bet365, provide a range of horse racing-specific promotions as well.
Can I deposit Indian rupees in a horse race betting site?
Yes. Leading India horse race betting sites accept deposits and withdrawals in Indian rupees. We feel that’s only fair, considering the sport enjoys a massive following in the country. Some low-deposit betting sites like Betway and bet365 support UPI, PhonePe, and other payment methods commonly used in India.
However, there are a few notable exceptions like 888sport that don’t accept Indian rupees. We suggest you steer clear of these if depositing in a foreign currency is inconvenient for you.
Which are the best horse racing betting apps in India?
Where can I get horse race betting tips from?
We have discussed a few free Indian horse racing tips in this article. Our suggestion is Betway Insider – the bookie’s blog section – where you get daily actionable horse race betting tips for free.
Can I bet live on horse races?
Yes, and Sportsbet.io is one of the best in-play betting sites to do this. Their up-to-the-minute design and straightforward layout make navigating the site a breeze. An added bonus is that you can live stream select horse races as well.
Can I live stream horse racing?
Absolutely. Three names off the top of our head have to be bet365, Betway, and Unibet. These India horse race betting sites allow you to live stream horse races from around the world. With Betway, however, it is mostly Irish and UK horse racing streams.
CricketBettingAdvice Final Say
The India horse race betting sites in this guide are licensed, and their fairness is approved by certified testing agencies like eCOGRA. With these, you get large welcome bonuses, multiple horse race betting markets, top-notch customer support, and convenient banking options. With sites like Betway, you get free Indian horse racing tips as well.
The Cricket Betting Advice team of writers are all defined by one goal: to provide you with the best online cricket betting content on the web.