The AFC Champions League is the premier competition in football in Asia. Now expanded into a 40-team competition, sides from Australia, China, Japan, South Korea and many more participate. In this AFC Champions League betting guide, we will look at the best betting sites to use, as well as some useful tips, the format of the competition, key stats and the most popular AFC Champions League betting markets.
Best Betting Sites for AFC Champions League
Top 5 Betting Sites for AFC Champions League
AFC Champions League Betting Odds, Tips & Predictions
AFC Champions League betting provides punters with an impressive range of ways to bet. Whether you are looking to get involved with match betting, player betting or outright markets, AFC Champions League tips, as well as AFC Champions League predictions, have become very widespread and highly sought-after within the gambling realm. As with any football competition, you will generally be able to make pre- and in-play bets, thereby adding to the excitement as you watch a match unfold.
AFC Champions League Betting Odds
AFC Champions League odds are not yet available, but we will post them here as soon as they are!
AFC Champions League Betting Tips & Predictions
- The sheer amount of teams battling for supremacy at the AFC Champions League means that there are a lot of options to choose from when it comes to betting. While the range of choice is ideal in giving a lot of teams good odds, it also means there are 39 other teams battling your selection to win. Value is essential in betting, but for this tournament, it may be a shrewd move to make your outright wager after the group stages have ended if you are not completely convinced by a team.
- Don’t be deceived by the fact that the most popular market tends to be the Match Winner market. AFC Champions League betting odds are not always particularly lucrative when it comes to match betting, as one team will be the favourite and the other will be the underdog. Instead, keep an eye out for alternative markets, with more niche betting options often providing good value.
- Do your research. It is as simple as that. When betting on football or any other sport, researching the teams and upcoming matches can be the difference between you nailing a bet and losing out on a wager that was not ever going to come off. While you do not have to trawl through years of footage of the sides playing, it is a great idea to check out recent matches between teams, how they play at certain grounds, who their key players are and whether they are a force to be reckoned with in knock-out football, or if they are likely to bottle their big chance. These sorts of stats are readily available online, meaning you have very little excuse not to do your homework beforehand.
- Following the correct tipsters can be a great way to cut down on the amount of work you do pre-match, as they will have done the research for you. If you find well-researched AFC Champions League tips and predictions, then this can really ease the difficulty of making bets. Utilising the best prediction in the world is a great place to start. Of course, you should always approach tipsters with caution to ensure they have done their own research and are going to give you the best odds. Also, remember these people are not psychics, and following their advice does not necessarily guarantee profit.
- Looking at the previous winners of the tournament will show you that Al-Hilal and Pohang Steelers are the most successful sides in AFC Champions League history. While the former won the competition in 2019, there was a long time between a last win in a final for either side, with Al-Hilal lifting the trophy in 1991 and 1999/2000, while Pohang Steelers won in 1996-97, 1997-98 and 2009. In fact, it was Ulsan Hyundai who won last time out, lifting the trophy for the first time since 2012. Clearly, this league is one where anyone can challenge for the crown.
- If you are going to back one of the two most successful sides, then perhaps Pohang Steelers are the ones to wager on if they are looking good as the competition goes on. They have appeared in and won three finals, proving their ability to turn up in big games.
- With a tournament like this, do not be fooled into thinking that the only time to bet on the outright winner is before the competition starts. While this will offer good value on most teams, you should be aware of the fact that because there are 40 sides in the tournament, competition will be fierce. This means that a supposed favourite could suffer an early loss and not ever recover. Therefore, you should ideally wait until a few matches have been played before wagering on your outright winner. In fact, you could even wait until the preliminary group-stage is over before wagering on the sides that are left. While this will likely see many teams installed with shorter odds, you will be safe in the knowledge that they were not eliminated in the first group stage, with knock-out football a very unpredictable phase within a tournament.
- Top scorers in the competition have not ever breached the 15 goals mark. In fact, last season, Abderrazak Hamdallah top scored with a mere seven goals.
- Despite this, the average goals per game in the 2020 tournament was 2.54 after 236 goals were scored in 93 games. Across the last four years of the tournament before this, the average goals per game had been 2.81 (2019), 2.89 (2018), 3.13 (2017) and 2.48 (2016). This fairly high goals-per-game ratio shows that the match winner and BTTS market may be still be a rewarding one to bet on.
AFC Champions League Betting: Popular Markets
When you search for the best AFC Champions League odds available, you will also be met by an array of markets. However, much like any other football competition, not all of these are as popular as others. Below, we have listed some of the most lucrative AFC Champions League betting markets, and explained how and when the best time to use them is.
AFC Champions League Betting: Match Winner
This AFC Champions League betting market is the simplest to bet on, and one of the most popular. Here, you will simply put money on one of the three results that can happen in a game. You will usually be met with the choices of backing Team A, Team B or a draw.
Although this market is one that doesn't seemingly require much research, you can really enhance your chances of winning by looking into the contest. For example, there will usually be a big favourite to win a game alongside an underdog; however, said big favourite will likely be odds-on, meaning that you will have to wager a lot to get any form of return.
Your other option is to back the underdog. While this will offer value, they constitute a bet that is unlikely to come off according to the odds.
With neither of these two scenarios particularly attractive, you still have two options available to you. The first is to back a draw in this match if you think this is likely to happen, especially if a number of their recent encounters have ended in a stalemate. Your second option is to wager on a game where there is no clear favourite. This can be found when a mid-table team travels to take on a struggling side, with the odds fairly even, or it can be when two teams are very well-matched (such as two table-toppers) when a pair of teams are threatened by relegation, or it is a mid-table battle. While this means that there is a chance your bet will lose, you will not have to wager as much to get a decent return if the match is that even.
Best AFC Champions League betting site for Match Winner: bet365
AFC Champions League Betting: Anytime Goalscorer
The Anytime Goalscorer market is one that draws in big numbers of bettors, with everyone thinking they can easily and consistently pick out a scorer in the game. This market is so attractive because you are not required to pick the first or last goalscorer. Indeed, all you have to do is pick out a player to score at any point in the game. This means that your team could be 10-0 down, and if your player hits the back of the net in the 92nd minute, then your bet will win.
Of course, simply picking out the favourite to score in the game may be the route many take, but you would be better off doing your research beforehand. For example, looking into the last five matches between two teams could reveal that a certain midfielder has shone against their opponents. Similarly, you could find that these two sides have played out a goalless draw in six of their last eight games, making an Anytime Scorer bet one that you should shy away from as far as possible.
Best AFC Champions League betting site for Anytime Goalscorer: Sportsbet.io
AFC Champions League Betting: Match Winner & Both Teams To Score
This market is often the main choice for many bettors. Separately, Match Winner and Both Teams to Score (BTTS) markets do not always offer much value. However, when they are amalgamated, you stand a better chance of winning. Your options will generally be something along the lines of Team A to win and BTTS, Team B to win and BTTS, Team A to win and no, Team B to win and no.
This market will require you to do your research on a number of aspects of the game. These will include the form of the two sides, recent matches between the pair, the scoring records of both teams and how well their defences have played across the season. Simply backing the better team to win and keep a clean sheet may bring with it a fairly good chance of making some profit, but this is not always the way it goes, with football being a notoriously unpredictable game at times.
Best AFC Champions League betting site for Match Winner & Both Teams To Score betting: 888sport
Geo-restrictions apply. You must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours
Tournament Structure for AFC Champions League
The AFC Champions League begins with 40 teams split into 10 groups of four teams. Seedings are used at this stage of the competition, which means that sides from the same country cannot be put into the same group as each another. The group stage is divided into two zones (five East Asian groups and five West Asian groups). When the tournament kicks off, every side in the competition takes on the other three in their group, both home and away. Two teams progress from each group, with the winners and runners-up making it to the next stage.
The following stage sees the winning team from each group taking on the runners-up from another group in their zone of the preliminary stage, with sides from East and West kept apart until the final. Importantly, the tournament works on the away goals rule, meaning that if the aggregate score is tied after 180 minutes, the team that scored the most goals on the road will progress. If the scores are perfectly level, then extra time is played, with this period not adhering to the away goal rule. If the sides are still level after extra time, penalties will be used to separate the teams.
The AFC Champions League has a very interesting tournament structure, with the fixtures spread out across the course of the year. The group stage usually takes place between February and May, while the knock-out stages are played from August to November; these ties are played out over two legs, with the final included in this format. In 2021, the qualifying stage will take place between April 7th-14th, with the rest of the competition held from April 14th to November 27th.
History of AFC Champions League
The AFC Champions League is a competition that has been circulating since 2002, although its roots date back much further. The current iteration serves as a continuation to the Asian Club Championship, which started in 1967. The tournament has proved immensely popular, giving the best clubs in Asia the chance to showcase their ability.
In 1985, the league was renamed the Asian Club Championship, while in 1990 a competition called the Asian Cup Winners’ Cup was also introduced. The latter was brought in as a tournament for the cup winners of each AFC nation, while the 1995 season saw yet another competition added, named the Asian Super Cup. However, this was simply a match between the winners of the Asian Club Championship and the Asian Super Winners’ Cup.
The 2002/03 season saw all three aforementioned cups merged into one competition to form the AFC Champions League. In the very first edition of the new AFC Champions League, it was Al-Ain who lifted the trophy for the first time, beating BEC Tero Sasana 2-1 on aggregate.
The AFC has seen some excellent battles taking place, while Al-Hilal and Pohang Steelers have enjoyed the most success in the current format. The 2021 edition of the competition will see the group stage expanded from 32 to 40 teams, with the East and West regions boasting five groups made up of four teams each.
Past Winners of the AFC Champions League
|Year||Winner||Country||2020||Ulsan Hyundai||South Korea|
|2019||Al Hilal||Saudi Arabia|
|2017||Urawa Red Diamonds||Japan|
|2016||Jeonbuk FC||South Korea|
|2014||Western Sydney Wanderers||Australia|
|2012||Ulsan Hyundai||South Korea|
|2010||Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma||South Korea|
AFC Champions League Key Stats
- The AFC Champions League was founded in 1967, although it has only existed in its current format since 2002.
- Al-Hilal and Pohang Steelers are the most successful sides in AFC Champions League history, with three titles to their name.
- South Korea is the most successful nation at the competition, boasting 12 titles and six runners-up medals. Japan are second, holding seven titles and four runners-up medals.
- Abderrazak Hamdallah was the top scorer in the competition in 2020, with seven goals for Al Nassr.
- The reigning AFC Champions League champions are South Korea’s Ulsan Hyundai.
AFC Champions League Betting FAQs
Which are the best betting sites for the AFC Champions League?
Any of the 5 betting sites we have listed above will provide you with everything you need for betting on AFC Champions League matches. However, if you really want to maximise your experience, then we recommend bet365, sportsbet.io and 888sport. These three bookies not only offer competitive odds and active markets, but also a wide range of betting payment methods along with their excellent in-play site features.
When will the 2021 AFC Champions League take place?
The 2021 iteration of the AFC Champions League is set to take place between April 7th-14th for the qualifying stage, while the tournament itself will be played across April 14th to November 27th.
What are the most popular markets for AFC Champions League betting?
As with any form of sports betting, bettors often favour very different markets to each other. However, generally, the most popular AFC Champions League betting markets will be Match Winner, Anytime Goalscorer and handicap betting. These three provide very different ways to bet on matches, and while the Anytime Goalscorer and handicap markets can often require a lot of research, they will offer good value if used correctly.
Can I live stream AFC Champions League matches?
This is entirely dependent on your bookmaker of choice. If you want to check out whether your bookie offers you the ability to watch live streams of AFC Champions League matches, then head to their live streaming schedule and check out what they have on offer.
Geo-restrictions apply. You must have a funded account or to have placed a bet in the last 24 hours
CricketBettingAdvice Final Say
ACL betting has provided a fantastic platform for lovers of football from around the world to bet on. Much like many other football betting opportunities like the English Premier League or La Liga, the standard AFC betting markets include match winner, BTTS, anytime goalscorer and total goals markets among many others. Where AFC betting is able to set itself apart from many other tournaments is in the amount of teams playing. Pairing AFC Champions league tips and predictions with the best football betting sites can really help to improve your betting experience. Pairing many of these betting sites with your favourites sports or sports betting India will give you a great experience and, if you do your research and find the right value bets, AFC Champions League betting can be an exceptionally exciting way to wager your money.
The Cricket Betting Advice team of writers are all defined by one goal: to provide you with the best online cricket betting content on the web.